- This event has passed.
Membership Meeting – Barb Vedder
September 15, 2022 @ 5:20 pm - 8:30 pm
Membership Meeting Guest Speaker
Scrap Quilts – The Secret to Success
A PowerPoint Presentation using antique quilts and my own work to decode the secrets and patterns of successful scrap quilt making. Through a study of these quilts, Barb will discuss design techniques such as color, contrast, and composition and how they are employed to create beautiful quilts. The lecture is followed by a trunk show of scrap quilts.
Quilting has been her passion for over 30 years with a special interest in antique and applique quilts. Barb’s quilts have been exhibited in regional, national and international shows including Houston Quilt Festival, AQS Paducah and Lancaster, and Quilt Odyssey. She has displayed quilts at the Texas Museum and The New England Quilt Museum. The Vermont Quilt Festival awarded her the Best Hand Quilting Award in 2016 and 2020. She won Connecticut State Fair’s Best Applique’ Quilt twice. In 2019, two local Guild Shows awarded her Best of Show. She has been published in Quilt magazines and blogs at Fun With Barb.
Barb enjoys all styles and traditions of quilting but her passion is studying and interpreting antique quilts and wondering about the women who created them.
She lives in Connecticut with her husband, Rich, and has two grown children. They share their home with Coco, a lazy chocolate lab, and Nutmeg, a spicy calico cat.
Membership Meeting Schedule
5:20 p.m.-6:20 p.m. –
- Check in at the membership table.
- Drop off fabric challenge quilt(s).
- Drop off your quilt show application(s).
- Drop off your 2 ½” strips and block of the month.
- Sign up for future workshops.
- SHOP – yes, shop at The Boutique – cash/checks only. We cannot accept credit or
- debit cards. And if you can supply your own bag that would be greatly appreciated.
6:30 p.m. – General membership meeting starts with our guest speaker.
7:15-7:30 p.m. – Voting for Fabric Challenge.
7:30 – 8:00 p.m. – Business Meeting.
8:00 p.m. –
Announcement of ribbon winners for the quilt show!
Announcement of the fabric challenge winners.
Award door prizes.
To Benefit the Needy
- The Comfort Quilt committee will assemble bags of fabric for this challenge. Bags will have various colors and amounts given. No two bags will be alike, and we will keep a list of participants whereas there will be surprise prizes as well.
- From the fabric, members are asked to assemble a Comfort Quilt, (suitable for donating). Use of members’ own stash fabric will be necessary to finish the quilt for this challenge.
- Sizes of this challenge must be a minimum of 25” x 30” (crib size) and no larger than 40” x 75” (twin size).
- Bag pick up will be at the May 19, 2022, General Membership meeting at the church.
- Finished quilts will be judged at the September 2022 meeting with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places given. Voting will be based on the membership present picking viewer’s choice.
- When the challenge is over, the quilts will be given to the Comfort Quilts A committee in collaboration with the Education Committee for a special exhibit at the Cranston Central Library in December 2022. After the exhibit, the Comfort Quilts will be distributed to the needy.