Why have a quilt appraised?
- To know the fair market value of a quilt you own, or wish to purchase or sell
- For insurance purposes
- For tax purposes if you are donating the quilt to charity
What information will you need to give the appraiser?
If you have information on the following, it will help the appraiser in valuing the quilt:
- When the quilt was made?
- Who made the quilt?
- Was the quilt a gift? For whom?
- What batting was used?
- What type of fabric was used?
- What construction techniques were used?
- Any other information you have about your quilt that will help the appraiser
How should you find or select an appraiser?
Choose a Quilt Appraiser who has been certified by the American Quilters’ Society (AQS).
These appraisers have undergone an intensive, thorough training, and rigorous testing process.
1379 N. Stone St
West Suffield, Connecticut. 06093
Phone: (860) 668-2710
28 Scofield Hill Road
Washington Depot, Connecticut 06794
Phone: (860) 868-0028
9 Maple Lane
Marshfield, Massachusetts 02050
Phone: (781) 834-1261
What can you expect from the appraiser?
You will receive a document that will typically include information known or estimated about:
- A definite date or circa date for when your quilt was made
- The maker’s name, if known
- A description of your quilt through pattern, set, materials, construction technique, color and any other pertinent information
- Comments about trends, fads, historical significance, overall visual appeal, original design, original work and other parameters used to establish value
- Comments about workmanship and overall condition
- Description of the type of value being established, the actual value, and the method and resources used to substantiate that value
- Any other factual information known that would affect value should also be noted. This would include special exhibits, awards, the quiltmaker’s previous sales or publications, and any other information relative to the quilt, quiltmaker or quilt owner.
- The qualifications of the Quilt Appraiser should also be provided.